Home of news and information for the University of Surrey Boat Club.
A leading university
The University of Surrey is one of the UK’s top professional, scientific and technological universities. Named as The Times and Sunday Times University of the Year 2016, Surrey has a world-class profile and a leading reputation in teaching and research.
Our campus is teeming with activity and investment, with a new 5G Innovation Centre and School of Veterinary Medicine continuing a trend of multi-million-pound developments that have made a positive impact on the University and our local community:
- Hundreds of Bachelors, Masters and PhD programmes
- Opportunities for part-time and full-time flexible study
- 95% graduate employability (five-year average)
Alongside this, the £36 million Surrey Sports Park offers facilities including: a 50m swimming pool, a £500,000 gym, an indoor climbing centre, three multi-purpose sports arenas, six glass-backed squash courts, eight floodlit outdoor tennis courts, three floodlit artificial grass pitches, ten grass pitches and a cricket square, a 60m sprint track, three multi-purpose exercise studios and a spinning studio, as well as a designated erg studio and separate S&C gym for our athletes.
A leading club
The University of Surrey Boat Club was founded in 1947 and has been thriving ever since. We are partnered with Molesey Boat Club, a GB high performance rowing centre, which has produced Olympic gold medallists such as the Searle brothers, Tom James, Andrew Triggs-Hodge and Moe Sbihi.
Athletes adhere to a strict high performance training programme which is designed to increase performance levels to one of an international standard. Between Surrey Sports Park and Molesey Boat Club, athletes work with a professional coaching team on and off the water, including that of a specialist S&C coach.
We welcome all students – whether you have never rowed before or you’re an experienced international athlete.
Never rowed before?
Our development programme aims to advance novices to that of a competitive national standard within the year, with successes proven by BUCS gold medals, wins at Head of the River, wins at Met and Marlow regatta and qualifications at Henley Women’s Regatta and Henley Royal Regatta.
Compete at the top
Our partnership with Molesey Boat Club acts as a pathway to GB rowing. Our athletes perform at the highest levels in all major UK Head and Regatta races, BUCS events, Henley Women’s Regatta and Henley Royal Regatta. The current top 20 University Indoor Rowing Championship Table is studded with 5 Surrey athletes, with notable consistent representation at the Under U23 World Championships.
High Performance Athlete Support Scheme
The High Performance Athlete Support Scheme (HPASS) is designed to assist talented student athletes fulfil their sporting potential whilst achieving academic excellence and aims to provide individually tailored, practical solutions and services to students that are both specific to their sport and academic situation.
The following services will be available to all HPASS students:
- Free access to all facilities at Surrey Sports Park
- Individual strength and conditioning program
- Physiotherapy and sports massage
- Physiological assessments and advice through Surrey Human Performance Institute
- Regular workshops on a range of subjects including strength and conditioning, lifestyle, injury prevention, sports nutrition and psychology
- Nutritional analysis and sports psychology support
- A dedicated performance manager
The aim of the HPASS is to provide specific support that meets the needs of each individual. Our Performance Manager will not only work closely with you but also in conjunction with your coach, your tutor and (where applicable) your national governing body to design the most suitable support programme for you.
- 3 athletes competing at U23 World Championships 2017
- Consistent qualifications for Henley Royal Regatta and Henley Women’s Regatta, with 3 Henley medals currently within the squad
- Successful performances at BUCS Head and Regatta from Beginner to Championship, including a number of gold medals
- Multiple wins at Met and Marlow regattas
- Pennants at Hammersmith Head, Quintin Head and HORR with strong performances at WeHORR
If you are an ambitious, driven and motivated person, we want to hear from you! We are always excited to welcome new members and can’t wait to have you on-board.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or click here to download our USBC Information Pack.
The University of Surrey Boat Club 2018
Good luck to all of those awaiting A-Level results. Whether you’re of an international standard or you’ve never rowed before, we want to hear from you.
Check out our latest video for what USBC has in store for you!
Interested in Sponsoring USBC?
Our club is currently seeking sponsorship! This is a great way opportunity to form a mutually beneficial relationship between your business and a successful sports club. For any questions and queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.