BUCS Indoor Rowing Championships 2018
The BUCS Indoor Rowing Series is back and we’re delighted to be hosting the event for the fourth year running at Surrey Sports Park on Sunday 25th November.
BUCS Indoors is part of the BUCS Indoor Rowing Series and is the first opportunity of the year to win BUCS points. While run by and for universities, we extend the invitation of participating to local clubs, community groups and other clubs are welcome. We are proud to be offering a wide range of events which can be entered via the entry form linked below. You must ensure your union BUCS representative also enters via BUCScore to allow BUCS points to be awarded as appropriate. Please ensure all students bring their student cards with them to prove eligibility if we request it.
We will be running the following events:
- Championship Heavyweight Men’s 2km
- Championship Heavyweight Women’s 2km
- Championship Lightweight Men’s 2km
- Championship Lightweight Women’s 2km
- Championship Rowability 2km
- Beginner Men’s 1km
- Beginner Women’s 1km
- Team Relay 2km
Each race will cost £5 per competitor with the team relay costing £20 (£5×4). This must be paid in cash on the day to a a member of the USBC committee who will make themselves known.
We will provide a timetable of events closer to the date however it is advisable to arrive at least half an hour before to allow adequate time to warm up. Lightweights must be weighed-in an hour before their race, men must weigh in at 75.0kg or less and women 61.5kg or less. Should a lightweight fail to make weight they will still be able to race but will not be placed in the lightweight category but instead have their time included in the heavyweight category.
Medals will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in all categories as well as a prize for the winners of the team relays. For all categories, except the team relay, BUCS will send medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd to each institution after the event. BUCS points will be awarded to the top four athletes in the championship categories:
- 1st place- Gold: 12 points
- 2nd place- Silver:8 points
- 3rd place- Bronze: 6 points
- 4th place- 4 points
Overall BUCS team points will be awarded based on an institutions top four placings within the overall UIRS series:
- 1st- 20 points
- 2nd- 14
- 3rd- 10
- 4th- 7
- 5th- 5
- 6th- 3
To enter please contact Rachel at firstname.lastname@example.org for an entry form. Additionally, those students who are eligible for BUCS points must ensure their institution is entered via BUCScore by their athletic or student’s union.
We will be live-streaming the event on the Team Surrey Facebook page and the University of Surrey Boat Club YouTube channel. There will be the opportunity for interviews before and after racing but should anyone not be comfortable with being filmed please contact us. Additionally, we will have a photographer on hand to capture all the best bits of the day’s racing, we will share the images after the event.
How to find us:
Surrey Sports Park is located just off the A3 opposite the Royal Surrey Hospital and clearly signposted. Sat-Nav users can use GU2 7AD. Parking is free for 2 hours and can be extended to another 3 by providing your registration plate to reception. There is also space for coaches and minibuses.
- Approaching from London/M25: Remain on the bypass (A3) until you reach the exit signed to the Cathedral and University. At the roundabout take the third exit signposted Royal Surrey County Hospital and University, Manor Park. Follow the signs to the Royal Surrey County Hospital for approximately a mile, and approach Surrey Sports Park on the left. Turn left at the traffic lights onto Richard Meyjes Road and follow the road to the car park.
- Coming from the A322 or A323 from Bagshot or Aldershot: At the A3 roundabout take the exit signed to Portsmouth, and then turn off the A3 at the first exit. At the roundabout take the third exit signposted Royal Surrey County Hospital and University, Manor Park. Simply follow the signs to the Royal Surrey County Hospital for approximately a mile, and approach Surrey Sports Park on the left. Turn left at the traffic lights onto Richard Meyjes Road and continue to follow the road round to the sports park.
- Arriving in Guildford from Horsham (A281) or Godalming (A3100): leave the road at the exit signed for Farnham (A31). After approximately 200 yards, at the mini-roundabout, take the first turning right into Guildford Park Road, and continue along Madrid Road and The Chase for a mile. At the next roundabout, take the first exit and follow the signs to the Royal Surrey County Hospital then turn left at the traffic lights onto Richard Meyjes Road and follow the road all the way to the sports park.
For more information regarding our event, please contact Rachel at email@example.com or follow us on Twitter or Instagram @usbcrowing. If you require some more information regarding information regarding BUCS Indoor Rowing Championships visit the BUCS website.
If you’re interested in getting involved with indoor rowing you can visit British Rowing Go Indoor Rowing or keep up to date on all things indoor rowing, British Rowing and university rowing by following @IndoorRow, @BritishRowing and @BUCSsport on Twitter.